ISSUES / CHALLENGES
- Freezer storage bags are plastic bags that can be used to conveniently store food in the freezer. If they are of good quality, they can be washed and reused many times. However, most people discard these bags after one use. As a result, they form part of the millions of plastic bags that are used and discarded each year, ending up either in the back of the cupboard or being thrown away.
- Once thrown away, they can end up in the marine ecosystem or remain intact in a landfill for hundreds of years and more. As plastic bags are made from a finite resource, petroleum, this is the equivalent of burying good bottles of oil 🙂
DATA SOURCES (LINKS)
- Wash and reuse any plastic freezer bags you currently own.
- Use glass jars (save empty sauce or jam jars) or stainless steel containers instead. It is important to leave space at the top of the jar to allow for expansion. If this is not done, there is a risk of the jar cracking. Pyrex containers are also a great alternative.
- Here are some great tips on freezing food without using plastic.
Increased Item Life
- How to freeze food in mason jars
- “Plastic Pollution Coalition – OPEN YOUR EYES” narrated by “The Dude” himself 🙂 Jeff Bridges
- Consider using a food safe, washable, resuable and durable silicone freezer bag.
- Also check out this “Rectangular Large Airtight Watertight Glass Container with Stainless Steel Lid“.
- And also a stainless steel option is available.