HOME AND GARDEN
Household Cleaning Products
ISSUES / CHALLENGES
- Buying several different products for general household cleaning not only contributes to landfill waste, it also wastes money and takes up storage space.
- Most commercial household cleaning products contain harmful toxins that have been linked to adverse health conditions in humans and environmental degradation, most notably the pollution of water channels.
DATA SOURCES (LINKS)
Foundation for Water Research, UK (pdf)
Environmental Working Group
Household Toxins Institute (pdf)
Data Collection on Household Pollutants
- Make your own all purpose cleaner using this recipe.
- Take this free course and learn how to make a range of natural household cleaners
- Consider purchasing just one all purpose cleaner if you choose to go for commercial options (instead of individual worktop, floor, sink cleaner etc.)
- Buy in bulk or utilise refill options provided by many suppliers.
- “The dirt on toxic chemicals in household cleaning products” by the David Suzuki Foundation
- Learn some awesome DIY cleaning hacks!