ISSUES / CHALLENGES
- On average, each woman will use and dispose between 8000 to 17000 pads and tampons in her lifetime. In North America alone, approximately 20 billion pads and tampons end up in landfills each year.
- Many products contain toxic ingredients causing further damage to personal health and the environment. Each pad or tampon is often individually wrapped in plastic, and their disposal requires further plastic sealing.
- It takes many centuries for the disposed items to biodegrade, well beyond the lifespan of the woman herself.
- Always dispose off products appropriately.
- Do not flush them down the toilet.
- Instead of using a plastic bag, wrap in old newspaper and throw in the sanitary bin provided.
- Get an in-depth insight into the environmental and health impact of menstrual products
- Read up on sewer workers in India and the impact on their health after cleaning up menstrual waste.
- On the lighter side: Watch the “Tampon vs Mooncup” rap battle! 😀
- For the creative minded, learn how to make your own “Homemade Sanitary Pads“